The Student and Early Career Professionals Subsection of the Education Section of the American Fisheries Society (AFS) is seeking applicants for the 2020 Undergraduate Travel Assistance Award (UTAA). The UTAA is designed to introduce undergraduate students to AFS and increase participation at the Society level. The UTAA will help defer travel costs to the Annual Meeting and fund AFS membership. Four undergraduate students will be selected to receive the award ($500) at the Education Section Business Meeting. Selection of awardees will be based on involvement in student and professional organizations and rationale for attending the meeting. The UTAA provides a great opportunity for undergraduate students to network with peers and professionals within AFS and immerse themselves in aquatic science and research that is being conducted by society members.
Recipients are expected to attend all student-related activities at the annual meeting including, but not limited to, the student networking event, awards luncheon, Education Section business meeting, and Student Subsection business meeting. In addition, recipients will participate in a mentoring program with graduate students and are expected to write a short summary of their meeting experiences which will be shared on the Subsection website. Travel funding will be withheld if these requirements are not met. Priority will go to applicants who are undergraduates at the time of the Annual Meeting, but applicants who graduate in 2020 may still be considered.
Applicants must be undergraduates or anticipate graduating prior to the Annual Meeting.
For more information or questions contact:
Heather Stewart [email protected]
- Limit responses to each question to 150 words, 12-point font.
- Undergraduates will be evaluated based on two criteria:
- involvement in student or professional organizations
- reasons for attending the annual meeting.
- A mentor* must endorse your application with a signature.
- Application forms must be received no later than May 1, 2020 at midnight EDT.
- Please complete form and email the attached file to [email protected] with the subject line “UTAA 2020” followed by your name.
- You will receive confirmation when your application is received. If you do not receive confirmation within 24 hours, please email [email protected] to ensure your application is processed.
*Mentor can be a faculty advisor, agency employee, graduate student, etc.